Common Injuries from Head-on Collisions
Last Updated on September 22,2023
Both Las Vegas residents and visitors are at risk of suffering life-altering harm due to a head-on collision caused by negligence. A head-on collision is one of the most tragic types of accidents possible. The injuries that result are typically severe and sometimes catastrophic. In addition, medical costs coupled with lost wages due to a lengthy recovery make fighting for compensation a must for most accident victims.
Common Head-On Accident Injuries
The violent impact of a head-on collision can result in devastating injuries. Among the most common types of head-on collision injuries include:
- Brain injury: severe traumatic brain injury affecting normal brain function
- Back and spinal cord damage: partial or complete paralysis
- Neck injuries: severe whiplash, damaging tendons, ligaments, and muscles
- Broken bones: multiple fractures in various areas of the body
- Internal injuries: internal bleeding and organ damage
If the collision ignites a fire, accident victims can suffer painful burn injuries. Burn victims typically require care at a burn center and endure such treatment as skin grafts and plastic surgery.
The outcome of such devastating injuries for most accident victims involves:
- Physical pain
- Emotional distress
- Financial burdens
Psychological issues, such as Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), are also a typical result of a traumatic car accident. Whether your injuries involve one or several of the conditions listed above, you deserve to fight for justice.
Typical Causes of Head-On Collisions
There is no way to predict the actions of other drivers. Unfortunately, staying alert and defensive driving are sometimes no protection against an out-of-control vehicle.
Once a driver crosses a centerline or approaches you head-on in some other manner, you are in danger. Unfortunately, there is typically no time to avoid the impact of a forceful collision.
Driver behavior and actions that are a common factor in a head-on collision include:
These behaviors and actions can cause a driver to lose control of their vehicle quickly. Negligence is never acceptable, and a lawyer can help you fight for the compensation you deserve.
Your Head-On Accident Damages
Nevada civil law allows victims of negligence to pursue personal injury lawsuits. A personal injury claim typically begins with your lawyer negotiating with an insurance company for a fair settlement. Most civil cases settle through the negotiation process without ever proceeding to court.
Your lawyer may determine it is necessary to proceed to court. If this happens with your case, your lawyer will keep you informed about what to expect with a trial. Filing a civil lawsuit is necessary should the claim process fail to achieve the best results for your case.
Typical types of damages in a personal injury case include:
- Medical costs
- Prolonged medical care costs
- Lost wages
- Future earnings, if returning to your job is not possible
- Pain and suffering
To file a personal injury lawsuit, you must act quickly. The Nevada statute of limitations for personal injury cases is two years. Therefore, the time for filing your lawsuit begins the moment you suffer your injuries.
A head-on collision typically requires a lengthy recovery. Do not miss filing your civil lawsuit if another driver is responsible for your damages. There are no further legal options once the statute of limitations expires.
Deadly Head-On Collisions
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), head-on collisions are relatively rare but among the most deadly. If you lost a close loved one in a head-on collision, you may want to contact an attorney. A Nevada wrongful death attorney can review your case and determine if your relationship with the victim qualifies you for legal action.
A civil claim and lawsuit in a wrongful death case generally involve the following types of damages:
- Funeral and burial costs
- Final medical costs for your loved one
- Lost income if your loved one financially supported your family
- Non-economic damages, such as the loss of companionship
The shocking news of your loved one’s death is emotionally devastating. The permanency of your loss can leave you without your best friend in life — it can also place you in a financial bind.
In the aftermath of such traumatic events, it’s not only the emotional pain that weighs heavily but also the financial implications of injuries or loss. If you’re contemplating pursuing a claim, understanding the intricacies of how claims are valued is crucial. Delve into the insights on how insurance adjusters calculate claim value, as explained by a seasoned Las Vegas Car Accident Lawyer, to navigate this process more effectively.
A free case consultation is the best way to determine if you qualify for pursuing a wrongful death case. Like personal injury cases, wrongful death victims have two years to pursue civil action.
5 Things to Consider Before Hiring a Head-On Collision Lawyer
A Las Vegas head-on collision can happen to anyone at any time. However, how victims proceed following such a traumatic experience can impact their chance for possible compensation. The following five tips are important considerations for accident victims as they contemplate their next step:
- An insurance company settlement offer may seem like the answer to your lost wages and medical bills. However, negotiating with an insurance company on your own is risky and can leave you disappointed.
- Understand that If you accept a settlement without a lawyer by your side, you cannot seek additional funds later. The insurance company closes your claim, leaving you with no further legal options should your medical condition worsen.
- Compensation is never promised, and it is impossible to predict the outcome of your case. However, accepting less than you deserve is not a viable option. Protecting your best interests is crucial for your future medical needs.
- A wrongful death case against the responsible party cannot replace the tremendous loss of your loved one. However, if successful, it can ease your financial stress and serve as a form of justice.
- Personal injury and wrongful death lawyers work to fight for the rights of accident victims. Their experience helping those who suffered unnecessary harm or an untimely loss can now be put to use for you. While aggressive with insurance companies, civil case lawyers are caring and compassionate with victims and their families.
Get Help From a Las Vegas Head-On Collision Lawyer Today
A head-on collision may rank among the rarest types of accidents. However, the results are among the most serious. No one should suffer severe harm or an untimely loss due to a reckless driver.
A Las Vegas car accident lawyer can help you fight for compensation. A free case consultation is an essential first step in your pursuit of a personal injury claim and lawsuit.