Las Vegas Rear End Car Accidents
According to a study conducted when the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) contracted with the Virginia Tech Transportation Institute (VTTI) nearly 30 percent of all car accidents are rear end collisions. This is a scary number for those who travel on roadways in Las Vegas. We already know Vegas is home to more than 2,000,000 registered drivers (stats from 2018 indicate this) and this is in addition to the nearly 50 million tourists who visit the area annually. Therefore, it should come as no surprise that rear end collisions are a fact of life in Vegas.
Typical Causes of Rear End Accidents
Rear end accidents are impossible to avoid for victims. Typically, a driver may see a car coming up behind them but not be aware they are about to be involved in a rear end collision. These accidents are nearly always avoidable since most rear end accidents are the fault of the driver in the back of the victim. Some common causes of rear end accidents include:
- Driver inattentiveness – nearly all rear end collisions are caused by a driver who fails to exercise proper judgment while driving. Cell phone use including calls and texting, despite Nevada’s hands-free laws, are common causes of distractions for drivers. Other distractions may include conversations with others in the car, changing settings on a GPS or radio, and even a driver turning around to scold a child in the rear seat.
- Careless operation – drivers who fail to maintain proper distance from the vehicles in front of them, those who drive too fast for road conditions, and other careless drivers often cause rear end collisions leaving victims seriously injured. Imagine having someone step off the sidewalk in front of you, having the driver behind you strike your vehicle and not only will you be injured, but there is an increased chance the pedestrian will be struck and injured as well.
- Parts failure – unfortunately in some instances, the driver who strikes your car from behind does so because something in their vehicle has failed. Tires, brakes, or other mechanical parts can give way causing the driver to lose control of their vehicle. Whether this is because a driver missed a parts recall, or because of poor maintenance, the results are the same – you suffer an injury which could have been prevented.
- Predicting actions of other drivers – when a driver is guessing at what another driver may do, they could potentially cause a rear end collision. An example of this would be when approaching an intersection, the driver behind you may assume you are going to proceed through the intersection at the same speed. If you slow down, and they are traveling too closely, there could be a rear end accident.
The causes of rear end collisions vary, but the end result is the same, damage to your vehicle and the potential of serious injury.
Serious Injuries Common in Rear End Accidents
Rear end accidents can result in serious injury, even when a vehicle is not moving at high speed. Some common injuries suffered by victims of Las Vegas rear end accidents include:
- Whiplash – a whiplash injury is caused in rear end accidents when a driver or passenger of the vehicle which is struck gets shoved forward unexpectedly. This causes the brain to be shaken inside the skull. While many people believe whiplash is a minor injury, victims can suffer long-term pain and develop other issues as a result of a whiplash injury.
- Airbag injuries – while airbags are designed to prevent injury, they can also contribute to the severity of certain injuries if you are involved in a rear end accident. This is especially true if your vehicle happens to be equipped with a defective airbag. Head, neck, and back injuries can be exacerbated by or caused by deployment of an airbag which nearly always occurs when you are involved in a rear end collision.
- Internal injuries – victims of rear end accidents often suffer hidden injuries. These internal injuries can cause serious damage to organs when a victim is thrust forward and their seatbelt constricts their rib cage. Broken ribs, punctured lungs, and damage to organs can result from a rear end accident in Las Vegas.
Careless Driving and Rear End Accidents
Whether you are traveling in Las Vegas on business, pleasure, or you are a resident, it is always important to remain aware of your surroundings when traveling on the roadways. Drivers who are paying more attention to their cell phone than the traffic around them can result in you suffering a serious injury if you are involved in a rear end accident. Drivers who have failed to follow the rules of the road, those who are operating under the influence, or reckless drivers can leave you suffering a serious injury and needing weeks, or even months to recover.
As a rear end accident victim in Las Vegas, you need to know what rights you have and what steps you should take to protect yourself legally. You have the right to file an insurance claim to ensure your medical bills and lost wages do not leave you struggling financially while you are recovering from your injuries.
The skilled car accident attorneys at Gina Corena & Associates have experience helping victims of all types of car accidents recover financially after an accident. While we understand our past successes are not necessarily a sign of what our future success may be, you can count on our experienced team to provide you with information so you understand your options, and can make an informed decision about what steps you should take.
Victims should seek legal guidance before they speak with an insurance adjuster so they understand what rights they have. Victims must exercise caution when speaking with an insurance adjuster, so they are not undermining their insurance claim. Speak with an experienced rear end accident lawyer in Las Vegas as soon after an accident is possible. Doing so can help ensure you will get the maximum possible settlement for your injuries and financial losses. If you were injured in a Las Vegas rear end accident and you have questions or concerns about what steps you should take next, contact Gina Corena & Associates today. You can reach our team by calling us at (702) 680-1111 or filling out our online contact form.