How Can a Las Vegas Truck Accident Attorney Help Me?
Last Updated on September 29,2023
It is common for someone who is involved in an accident to feel they can handle the claims process on their own. However, when someone suffers an injury in an accident involving a truck on Las Vegas roadways, the process may be more complicated than simply filing a claim against the truck driver. It is not uncommon for a victim to wonder how a Las Vegas accident attorney can help them resolve their case.
An Attorney Can Identify Responsible Parties After a Truck Accident
When a truck driver is involved in an accident, one of the first things a Las Vegas truck accident attorney will do is determine who is liable for the accident. There can be multiple parties responsible including:
- Truck driver — the trucker may be solely responsible for the accident which occurred on a Las Vegas roadway. A driver who fails to follow traffic signals, speeds, or makes sudden moves without reviewing the roadway around them can cause an accident which results in serious injury.
- Truck driver’s employer — the employer must share information regarding all regulations a trucker is responsible for, including federal and state rules. For example, the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) is responsible for regulating all trucks when they are operating in multiple states. Truck driver employers must inform a driver they are required to maintain an accurate log of time spent driving as well as rest hours.
- Parts manufacturer — any manufacturing defect which can be associated with an accident could potentially make a manufacturer partially liable for the harm caused by a tire blowout or brake failure.
These are some of the parties who may be liable for a truck accident and a truck accident attorney in Las Vegas can help make sure they are held accountable.
Collecting and Evaluating Evidence After a Truck Accident
There are numerous pieces of evidence which must be analyzed to establish how an accident occurred. Additionally, there may be a need for accident reconstruction. Witness statements have to be collected, police reports will have to be requested, and when available, traffic camera footage will have to be requested from the locality.
An experienced Las Vegas truck accident attorney has experience dealing with evidence analysis as well as compiling evidence. In many cases, it is difficult for a victim to be able to identify all of the areas which could bolster their claim. Most people do not have access to experts who can help properly evaluate and analyze evidence.
Advising Victims of Rights and Serving as an Advocate
Many victims of a truck accident are not aware of their legal options or rights. Most truck accident lawyers offer victims a free case evaluation and consultation to ensure they understand what rights they have following an accident. This type of interaction also helps a victim who suffered injuries in a truck accident understand their legal options.
When it comes to working with insurance adjusters, it is helpful to have an advocate working on behalf of a victim. Because insurers are focused on minimizing the amount they pay out in claims, a lawyer who has experience handling these claims understands some of the tactics that an insurer will use. When a victim hires a Las Vegas truck accident lawyer, they also are showing the insurer they will not settle for less than what they believe they are entitled to collect for their damages and losses.
Lawyers Understand When The Timing For Filing Claims is Right
While Title 2: Civil Practice of the Nevada Revised Statutes allows a victim up to two years to file a lawsuit against an at-fault driver, this period of time is more complicated than it may sound. When someone suffers injuries in a truck accident, their recovery time may not be for several weeks or perhaps months following the accident.
Before a claim is filed, there should be a clear way to calculate losses a victim suffers including:
- Medical claims — the amount of medical bills a victim may have to pay out of pocket for treatment of the injury they suffered in a truck accident.
- Lost wage claims — before a victim can file a complete lost wage claim, they have to know when they can return to work. Therefore, it is important to avoid filing a claim too early in the process.
- Other claims — pain and suffering, costs which a victim may have to pay to modify their home, costs associated with hiring help to handle chores a victim cannot complete during their recovery, and rehabilitation costs may also vary depending on numerous factors.
The more serious the injury a victim suffers, the more complicated a truck accident claim will be for them to handle on their own. Las Vegas truck accident attorneys are dedicated to defending injured clients.
Will be Prepared for Legal Action if Necessary
While it is true that most truck accident claims are settled out of court, one must be prepared for the possibility that negotiations with insurers will not result in a settlement. When a victim initially meets with a Las Vegas truck accident lawyer, they will have an opportunity to explain the circumstances of the accident which caused their injury. This will help the attorney determine how a claim may potentially proceed.
Experienced Las Vegas truck accident attorneys will work hard to obtain a reasonable settlement from the responsible party’s’ insurance company, but when that fails, they will be prepared to compile evidence, seek assistance from experts and witnesses, and present a solid case before a court who will help determine the final settlement for a victim.
Contacting a Las Vegas Truck Accident Lawyer
Many truck accident victims are concerned about the cost of hiring an attorney following an accident. Most attorneys who have experience working on truck accident claims will offer a free consultation and take a truck accident victim’s case on a contingency fee basis. What this means is that until the attorney is able to secure a settlement, the victim is not paying any out of pocket attorney fees.
In Las Vegas, the complexities surrounding truck accidents can be overwhelming, especially when commercial vehicles are involved. It’s essential to understand the nuances of commercial truck accidents in Nevada to ensure victims get the justice they deserve.
Given all of the ways a Las Vegas truck accident lawyer can help a victim of a truck accident, it is no surprise that most victims who are unfamiliar with handling these types of injury claims turn to someone who can help them through the process.