Maximizing Your Personal Injury Settlement: Tips from Experienced Attorneys
Last Updated on September 25,2023
When someone is injured because of the negligent action, or a deliberate action of another party, they have the right to seek compensation for the losses they suffer. These settlements are designed to ensure a victim who has suffered an injury is not forced to bear a financial burden which was not caused by their own action.
A recent case in Minneapolis demonstrated that even when someone is negligent in how they perform their jobs, they may be responsible for paying for the losses a victim faces. While this case may be extraordinary, every day, victims of actions or inactions of other people do result in injuries. The predicament many victims face is how to ensure they get the maximum settlement that they are entitled to under the law.
Tips For Getting the Maximum Personal Injury Settlement
The first rule of thumb for any accident victim who has suffered an injury because of another party’s negligence is to seek immediate medical care. This is important because without documented proof of an injury, a settlement could be impossible to secure.
In the days following medical care, victims can use the following tips to increase their chances of getting a reasonable settlement.
- Seek Legal Advice-when someone suffers an injury they often do not know what steps they can take to secure compensation for their losses. An attorney who has experience with personal injury law can review their case and advise them of what legal options they have available to them.
- Preserving Evidence of Injury and Damages-every personal injury case depends on showing another party owed them a duty of care, they breached the duty of care, and that as a result the victim suffered harm. This means the victim must take steps to show negligence and losses. Maintaining accurate records of expenses associated with an injury including medical bills, lost income, and modification of the home may all be important in collecting the maximum settlement.
- Avoiding Sharing Information-a victim of an accident should avoid over-sharing of information on social media sites. It is important to remember that insurance companies, the liable party’s attorney, and others may scour through public information to minimize the amount of a final settlement.
- Avoid Recorded Statements-when an insurance adjuster contacts an accident victim, they may ask them to provide a recorded statement. This should be avoided at all costs. Anytime an insurance adjuster contacts a victim, they should be referred to the attorney who is handling the claim on their behalf.
- Understand the Value of Claim-a victim’s personal injury lawyer will work with them to ensure they are demanding the maximum settlement for their injury and damages. This is important. Lost income, medical expenses, and other damages must be considered when filing a settlement demand. Some victims may be facing long-term medical issues which can add to the value of the claim.
- Avoid Fast Settlements-in most cases, it is not wise to accept the initial offer of a settlement from an insurance company. While the offer may seem generous initially, particularly when a victim has been out of work for a few weeks, chances are the insurance company is making a low offer hoping it will be accepted.
- Reading Fine Print-victims of personal injury should never sign any documents without first having them reviewed by their personal injury lawyer. There are several reasons for this including that insurers may request information which can diminish the amount of settlement a victim may be entitled to seek for their injury and other damages.
- Adhere to Treatment Plans-one of the most damaging things a victim can do is ignore their treatment plan while they are working on a personal injury settlement. This means all victims should attend all follow-up appointments, attend rehabilitation, and take any prescribed medications as directed. Failing to do this could jeopardize a victim’s chances of getting the maximum personal injury settlement they would otherwise be entitled to collect.
Why Hiring a Personal Injury Lawyer Matters for Maximizing Settlements
While some victims may think they are saving time and money by filing a claim for a personal injury on their own, in most cases, they may be damaging their ability to collect the maximum settlement. The reason for this is that a personal injury lawyer who has experience handling cases will be able to evaluate each case and help determine when the best time to file a claim is and what the case is worth. Without their experience, a victim could undervalue their claim on their own.
There are other advantages to hiring a personal injury attorney as well including:
- They will prepare claims-a skilled personal injury lawyer has experience handling claims and will make sure the right documentation is submitted, helping minimize the demand for additional documents.
- They are skilled negotiators-an attorney has the skills needed to negotiate with insurance adjusters and they know what tactics they will use to minimize a claim.
- Victims can focus on physical recovery-hiring a personal injury lawyer to handle the claims process allows a victim to focus on their physical and mental recovery after an injury while the attorney focuses on ensuring a reasonable settlement.
- They understand personal injury statutes-every state has a statute of limitations which dictates the maximum time a victim has to file a claim against the party responsible for their injury and losses. After this time, a victim may lose the right to secure a settlement.
When a victim hires an attorney to handle their claim, they also have the added peace of mind of knowing that should negotiations break down, their lawyer will be prepared to go to court and represent them to ensure they are getting the maximum personal injury settlement available.
Contact an Accident Injury Attorney Immediately
Navigating the tactics of insurance companies can be challenging. These companies often employ various strategies to minimize the amount they have to pay out. It’s crucial to be aware of these tactics and know how to counteract them. Learn more about the common insurance tactics in personal injury claims and how to protect your rights.
Car accidents are among the most common causes of personal injuries. Understanding the compensation process after such an accident is crucial to ensure you get the rightful compensation. Dive deeper into the car accident compensation process to be well-prepared and informed.
Whenever someone has suffered an injury, they should call a personal injury lawyer and request a free case evaluation. Taking this step will help a victim understand their rights as well as their legal options. In many cases, a victim can get the maximum personal injury settlement by working with an attorney who has experience handling similar cases. If you have suffered an injury, call 702-680-1111 or contact our experienced legal team today, and we will work to get the compensation you deserve.