You think Las Vegas, you think casinos.
Everyone who comes to a Las Vegas casino expects to have a good time. They expect to get the full casino experience, complete entertainment, delicious food, and of course the gambling. However, things to go wrong for some people. Accidents are a fairly common scenario in Las Vegas casinos. What should someone do if they suffer from a personal injury in a casino?
There have been many cases in the past, from a $400,000 lawsuit against MGM and Magician David Copperfield to many such cases involving Las Vegas casinos. There are two common situations in which a personal injury can occur, one happens where there’s negligence by the casino and other when there’s injury due to the action of other patrons in the casino.
What Does Negligence Mean?
Negligence is what is defined as a legal standard when it comes to personal injury. Hotels and Casinos are responsible for the safety of patrons within their premises, failure to meet these standards is deemed negligible. A casino can be negligible due to lapses in their own efforts or even when it’s due to the actions of a third-party patron. When a patron is inside a casino, all employees of the particular casino represent the casino, thus any action by them is directly associated with the casino as well.
If a casino fails to provide safety or does not act in a responsible manner, negligence is applicable if the cause of personal injury is a third-party patron as well.
Types Of Lawsuits
There are different types of lawsuits that can take place against a casino.
- Slip and fall
- Jostling in a crowded area
- Inadequate security
- Food poisoning
- Fall in the shower
- Tainted alcohol
- Pool accidents
- Accidents relating to entertainment at live shows, fireworks, special effects, etc.
- Assault and battery
- Other accidents
It’s important to remember that any type of accident in a casino can be considered as long as it is due to the negligence of the establishment. Remember, even if it is due to another patron, the casino can still be held responsible if they fail to provide security or don’t take enough steps to prevent the injury. In such cases, one has to take the counsel of a Las Vegas personal injury lawyer.
How Can A Personal Injury Lawyer Help?
To begin with, a personal injury lawyer can help sue a casino on behalf of the victim. The main purpose of filing a lawsuit is to gain compensation. Personal injuries are no laughing matter. It can often cause irreversible damage and a personal injury lawyer can help gain compensation from the casino.
There are financial and non-financial losses that a personal injury victim may incur. For instance, if a professional weightlifter injures their hand in an accident, they suffer a major financial loss as their career is at stake due to the casino’s negligence. There are also non-financial losses like anxiety, trauma. The law does not differentiate between these and neither does it minimize the severity.
What Should Be Done After An Accident?
- The first step is to stay calm and do not admit fault. If the victim does admit fault, then it can be used against them. It’s best to keep conversations to a minimum as any word or sentence can be used to show the admission of fault.
- The next step is to seek medical attention and to file a police report. By doing both these steps the victim is taking care of their immediate situation and safeguarding their position in the event of a legal battle.
- After this, it is best to contact a las vegas personal injury lawyer. Do not talk to anyone from the casino until the lawyer arrives.
- The lawyer will then consult with the victim to understand the details on the case and guide them accordingly.
- If there is a case, the lawyer will proceed with the legal aspects and keep you updated.
Nevada law 11.190 creates a time limit of two years for a victim to file an accident claim against a casino. However, it is recommended to start the proceedings as soon as possible. A personal injury lawyer, if contacted on time, can help gather fresh evidence and help build a strong case against the casino.
Las Vegas personal injury lawyers are adept at the laws pertaining to the state and can help personal injury victims in Las Vegas to alleviate some of the pain caused due to the negligence of a casino during their visit.